Sunday 7 September 2014

BG leg 5 - This should be a doddle now

As I said, I’d decided that I was having a very fast stop at Honister partly because I was getting interested in finishing time, but mostly that I rather fancied hanging around for a while to say thank you to my wonderful supporters. In retrospect, I should have advised my leg 5 supporters, Paul, Adnan, Jenny and Craig, as they seemed a little unprepared as I had a quick drink before declaring that I was off.

The slog up Dale Head was surprisingly straightforward, though the jam sandwich I was trying to eat proved impossible and half was eventually discarded. Clearly, “real” food was now a no go so it’d have to be gels, snakes and the sports drink to keep me moving.


Soon enough, we were ticking off the last major climb of the round inside schedule and I started to dream, was sub 23 now possible? Certainly if I could hold my schedule I should be close. Halfway to Hindscarth, I had another little wobble, and, after a couple of snakes and another talking to, I vowed to keep taking this one bit at a time and we continued up to Hindscarth bang on schedule.

Running down towards the final climb, Robinson, the reality that this was going to happen hit home and I may have got a little grit in my eyes. After I stopped being soft, we cruised up to the 42nd peak, and soon I was at the top inside schedule. After allowing myself a little smile, posing for a couple of pictures (including this special celery based one for Andy!) and surveying the whole BG route in front of me (it looked a bloody long way!), it was time to first get to the road and then to Keswick.


In good spirits, I started to jog off the summit plateau but after about 100 meters I became aware of some serious pain brewing on the inside of my legs. As ever I tried to ignore it, but the first time I needed to move laterally I was suddenly at the edge of being sick with the pain. All of a sudden, my straightforward victory jog to Keswick had become a rather more serious affair. Still, at least the views were good.


Having struggled down the ridge from Robinson, I was, eventually, onto High Snab Bank. At this point, I established that running in straight lines was just about manageable, and came   to the agreement with my support crew that I’d try and run anything that I could in a straight line and pick through anything laterally. This approach at least got me to the road, but it was now going to be tight for time unless I got moving again.

After changing into my road shoes, we set off on the bit less than 5 miles to the Moot Hall. I don’t remember masses about this section, other than (a) it hurt, (b) all of my landmarks on route seemed to take ages to arrive, (c) my coaching advice of drive your arms back to make your legs move does seem to work no matter how tired you are, and (d) it hurt.

Eventually, I reached the mini-horde that was waiting for me at the end of the path along the Greta. Suitably cheered up, we turned on the road, over the bridge, past the Saddleback (where I was planning to eat the menu the following morning), and up to the island. At the island, I had a glance at the watch and realised it was at least possible to go sub 23:30 if I got a wriggle on.

Deciding that I wanted this done quickly, I took off at a rate that may have shocked some of my support, took in a few more cheers as I ran up the high street, had a little bit of pain related shouting and didn’t stop until I hit that green door.

I looked down at my watch, it was 8:27.

23 hours and 27 minutes after I’d set off, it was done.
  


Splits for interest (Scheduled times in brackets)
Dale Head                    34        (35)
Hindscarth                   18        (18)
Robinson                     25        (25)
Keswick Moot Hall     115      (85)

No comments:

Post a Comment