Saturday 21 May 2016

East Yorkshire Highest to Lowest

Inspired by the writing of SJC, and particularly by this blog post, I got to plotting several, slightly random, runs across East Yorkshire. Until today, all of these runs have remained in my imagination and on my laptop due to me failing to make the time to do any of them. Today though, I took advantage of a last minute free(ish) Saturday caused by a rearrangement of a BG I was due to be supporting to move one to the “done” pile.

All of the runs are based loosely around two things, a tenuous theme and a chance to see bits of the world I’ve not been to before. The aim of today’s run was simple in principle – to run from the highest point in the county to the lowest.

It’s easy to find the highest point as there’s a list on Wikipedia, for East Yorks it’s Bishop Wilton wold. The lowest point is tougher to locate, I suspect that someone will correct me and identify somewhere that’s sub sea level near Spurn, but in the end I settled for the obvious answer – The sea.

Having plotted a run between the two, the plan was relatively simple – Early start, drive to Bishop Wilton, Run to Bridlington, then get a bus and taxi back. Simple right? Er No. Having got up bleary eyed at 4 am, I drove 98% of the way to the start (45 minutes away), realised I’d left my running shoes at home, drove home, got shoes, drove back, and eventually ended up in Bishop Wilton a little over 90 minutes behind schedule.

Despite my incompetence, I did eventually get underway, and set off to the top of the wold to locate the summit. Having had a good look around, I concluded that nothing around me was higher than I was (a view backed up by the spot heights on both Garmins), concluded I was at the start, then set off trundling towards Bridlington. The plan was simple – take it steady, enjoy the scenery, eat and drink regularly. I did all of these well, so there’s not much exciting to mention. Instead I thought a bit of a photo log would be preferable.


 The Start


 Bishop Wilton Wold, The highest point in East Yorkshire on a dreary morning


Wold House Farm


Disturbing a few sleepy cows


Holm Field


Sledmere monument


Sledmere Estate


Kilham Church


First glimpse of the sea


The end of the line
Full route details on Strava 

Having arrived at the sea, I glanced at the time and realised I’d missed the bus I was planning to get back to Pocklington. Never mind I thought, a quick check of google suggested I could take a train / bus combo to save half an hour to Pocklington. This all worked well, but upon reaching Pocklington, it started to unravel (again). Eventually I managed to get a taxi (I’d ended up in Pocklington at the prime time for people heading to York) and finally ended up back in Bishop Wilton rather later than planned, but with the satisfaction of a job (reasonably) well done.


No comments:

Post a Comment