Wednesday 3 September 2014

BG Leg 4 – just a little bit further

The support point at Wasdale was cause for my first sit down in a little over 15 hours. I’d deliberately avoided sitting down before now as I didn’t want to stiffen up, but now it was time to give my ever suffering wife the opportunity to swap my shoes and clean and regrease my feet – I certainly know how to treat a lady!

Having chosen the least comfortable looking option, much to the annoyance of my crew who had laid everything out next to a comfy chair, I swapped my shoes and socks, had another bowl of corned beef hash and popped down a couple of ibuprofen. With all my support needs covered, it was onto my feet and time to leave.


Leaving Wasdale with my entourage of Rich, Nigel, Adnan (who had supported a paddy the day before), Paul and Ryan, we headed towards the gate at the foot of Yewbarrow. I’d deliberately tried to avoid looking at this climb until I got there as it has a reputation for being a brute, but, for once, the steep face didn’t look too bad. The climb itself was predictably tough, but Rich’s constant reassurance that it was okay to stop and look at the view periodically got me through, and soon enough we were at the summit just inside the generous schedule.

From Yewbarrow, the route descends a short way before climbing up to Red Pike, and this climb is often described as the worst bit about Yewbarrow. With sun on my back and good company, progress was reasonable, and we hit the summit more or less on schedule. Trotting off Red Pike towards steeple, I noticed that the pain in my hip flexors had lessened and decided to enjoy it until the drugs wore off.

With slightly looser legs, Steeple was ticked off ahead of schedule, with the views from the top being truly outstanding looking into ennerdale. Back along the ridge and on towards Pillar where I enjoyed climbing for the first time in a good fee hours, and hit the reasonably busy top inside the schedule.

After a couple of good peaks, and moving well, I allowed my mind to wander to how doable this now was. As it happens, this was a very bad move as I had a huge bad patch going up Kirk Fell that caused me to start on the gels for the first time on the round. 2 gels and some sweets on the climb dragged me to the top 7 minutes down on this leg, and my mind was soon refocused on just how much work was still to do.


Another gel and most of a packet of snakes was forced down on the way to Great Gable, and all that food and a renewed focus on taking one peak at a time powered me up Great Gable 5 minutes ahead of schedule. After taking in the majestic views from my favourite Lakeland mountain, we trotted on towards the remaining peaks on the leg.

Green Gable, Brandreth and Grey Knotts were ticked off more or less on schedule, and as we descended to Honister, I reflected on how far I’d come, and how well I’d come through my bad patch on Kirk Fell. As we were more or less back on schedule at this point, and my legs were feeling a little better, I couldn’t help but wonder about how quick I might be able to complete the round from here.

As I descended to the large mob that now passed for my support crew, I was clear that I was going to have a very fast stop since I didn’t want to get sucked into gossiping with my entourage. It was time to get this finished.



Times for interest (scheduled times in brackets)
Yewbarrow      47        (48)
Red Pike         49        (48)
Steeple            18        (21)
Pillar                31        (33)
Kirkfell             55        (48)
Great Gable    40        (45)
Green Gable   17        (18)
Brandreth        16        (17)
Grey Knotts     10        (8)
Honister           13        (13)
Leg Time         4:56     (4:59)

No comments:

Post a Comment