Monday 1 September 2014

BG Leg 3 - A new day

After a quick feed and a change of tops, my new support crew of Brian, Ryan, Kev and Paul set off up the steep slopes of Steel Fell in the lovely soft light of a mountain dawn. After a couple of minutes, I became aware of a commotion below as Adam (apparently) had decided he’d try and sprint up steel fell with the jam sandwich I’d left at the cars. Unsurprisingly, his sprinting was short lived and I decided that I had enough food in the supporters’ packs, had a little laugh and trudged on upwards.

About halfway up the climb, the cramps returned yet again to my hip flexors, but after a brief pause, we were soon cresting the top of the slope and were cruising towards the summit, with a couple of minutes gained on schedule.

The next few peaks were all ticked off more or less on or above the scheduled pace, with only the occasional pause to admire the stunning dawn. On this section, my legs seemed to perk up a little and I was taking little chunks out of the schedule, was eating well and most happily wasn’t cramping. As such I tried to make a little hay while the sun shone, and had taken 6 minutes back out of my schedule to this point.



After Pike of Stickle, I noticed that I’d stopped chatting and it was getting a lot tougher. It was around here that I discovered the truth in many completers accounts of this section being where things got serious and the enormity of the remaining task became clear. No matter, just worry about the next peak and keep the legs moving.

By simply worrying about putting one foot in front of the other we were on top of Rossett Pike, took a moment to enjoy the magnificent view down towards the Langdales. From Rossett, it was down and soon back up the precipitous sloped that make up the direct route up Bowfell.  Once again, as the ground steepened, my hip flexors started to hurt again, and progress was slowed a little, but soon enough we crested the summit plateau and headed up to Bowfell.

With Bowfell comes the rockiest tops of the round, and despite plenty of effort over the last few years, I’m still poor on this terrain. As a result, the schedule was very generous for this section (for most!) but I managed to stick more or less with it to Scafell Pike. It was on this section that I saw the first few people (that weren’t supporting me!) in 13 odd hours.

It was on the steep bits of this section that I realised that the cramps appeared to be passing. This was good, but left in their wake some serious stiffness and a bit of pain from the affected hip flexors. This was bad. Still, it just gave me something slightly different to worry about while I carried on regardless. It was around this point I committed to taking drugs at Wasdale if it didn’t ease.  


Leaving the only slightly busy Scafell Pike, we trotted down to the stretcher box at Mickledore before heading down to the entrance of Lords Rake. Despite the legs occasionally requiring my arms to lift them to them up the larger steps of the rakes as my hip flexors were really not happy, the rakes were reasonably enjoyable, and the views were simply stunning from the rakes.



Soon enough, we were reaching the summit of Scafell only 3 minutes down on my leg 3 schedule. All of that time, and a couple more minutes were found as I persuaded my now rather pained legs into an easy trot down the 3000 foot descent to Wasdale. On this descent, Brian was brilliant and managed to come down slowly enough to act as a sensible hare for me, but still got me moving again at a moderate lick.





As we crossed the river and descended towards Brackenclose, it was time to slalom around the bank holiday crowds going up and headed to my wonderful support crew, this time of Kate, Helen, Mum, Dad and Pete. Unbeknown to me, they’d all been plotting on the Saturday while I’d been trying to rest and had arranged a banner for the support car that did a fine job of cheering me up just before the now standard super smooth pit stop and lunch.


Splits for interest (Schedule in brackets)

Steel Fell                     21        (24)     
Calf Crag                    21        (19)     
Sergeant Man              33        (34)     
High Raise                   9          (9)       
Thunacar Knott           12        (15)     
Harrison Stickle           9          (10)     
Pike o Stickle              14        (12)     
Rossett Pike                45        (44)     
Bowfell                       39        (37)     
Esk Pike                     26        (26)     
Great End                   29        (26)     
Ill Crag                       17        (18)     
Broad Crag                12        (14)     
Scafell Pike                14        (14)     
Scafell                        42        (38)     
Wasdale                     30        (35)     
Leg Time                   6:13     (6:15)
  
More of Brian’s excellent photos can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16716009@N03/sets/72157646842288345/

No comments:

Post a Comment